It ’ randomness in truth hard to get any better than downy, absolutely steaming rice as a vehicle for all your favored curries or stadium or sides or burrito guts or…whatever pairs-well-with-rice acquaintance you can think of .
Unless, of naturally, you can ’ thyroxine get that fluffy, perfectly muggy rice to begin with. But the perfect batch of rice doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate want to be intimidating ! here are our favorite tips and tricks on getting the perfect texture and cook on that bantam short grain .
Pluuuuuus, bonus alert, we ’ ve got some of our fave variations like coconut rice and coriander lime rice which, depending on the recipe, can truly make things S-I-N-G. sol here ’ mho to felicitous rice times, love !
Reading: How To Cook Perfect Rice
How To Cook Rice
Using the Instant Pot (we consider this our perfect rice)
- Give your rice a rinse in a fine-mesh strainer to remove some of the extra starch. Rinse until the water turns from cloudy white to clear.
- Toss your rinsed rice in the Instant Pot with water and a pinch of salt. Use 1 1/4 cup water for every 1 cup of long-grain white rice or brown rice.
- Start cooking your rice. Make sure to seal the valve on the top of your Instant Pot. If you’re making long-grain white rice, cook for 3 minutes with 10 minutes of natural pressure release. If you’re making brown rice, cook for 15 minutes with 5 minutes of natural pressure release.
- When your rice is finished cooking, release any remaining pressure and fluff your rice with a fork. Perfect rice ready to eat!
Using the Stovetop
- Give your rice a rinse. Just 30 seconds in a fine-mesh strainer works here to clean your rice and get rid of some of the extra starchiness. Just rinse until the water turns from cloudy white to clear. Keep your eye out for teeny tiny rocks or debris that need to be picked out, too.
- In a medium pot, add 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of long-grain white rice or brown rice you want to cook. Make sure to salt your water well, then bring your water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add in your rinsed rice. You’ll notice the rolling boil will mellow out a bit. Wait until the water starts to boil a bit again and turn the heat down to low to simmer the rice.
- Cover the pot. Make sure to not peek inside to see how the rice is doing or you’ll let out all the steam that’s helping to cook the rice. If you’re making long-grain white rice, let the rice cook on the stove for about 16-17 minutes. If you’re making brown rice, let the rice cook on the stove for about 45 minutes.
- When your rice is finished cooking, remove it from the heat and let it sit covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot cover and fluff your rice with a fork. Voilà! Perfect rice every single time.
Variations On Rice
How to Make Coconut Rice
- Prepare rice as normal using 1 can of coconut milk instead of water and use 2 cups of jasmine rice.
- Fluff rice and enjoy!
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
- Cook rice as normal.
- A dd a handful of chop coriander to the rice with a large extort of calcium hydroxide juice .
- Fluff rice to combine and enjoy!
How to Make Spanish Rice
- Add a couple tablespoons of oil to a medium size pot and add 1 cup of long-grain white rice.
- Toast rice until it’s golden brown in color.
- Add 2 cups of broth, a 4-ounce can of tomato sauce, a clove of minced garlic (or a teaspoon of garlic powder), a little pinch of dried oregano, and a little pinch of cumin to the pot.
- Stir to combine and cover pot. Cook rice for 35-40 minutes.
- Fluff rice and enjoy!
Questions About Making Rice
What is the Ratio of Water to Rice?
If you ’ re making long-grain white rice on the stove or in the Instant Pot, use 1 1/4 cup of body of water for every cup of rice .
If you ’ ra making brown rice on the stove, use 1 cup of water for every cup of rice. If you ’ ra making brown rice in the Instant Pot, use 1 1/4 cups water for every cup of rice .
What Does It Mean to Fluff Rice?
Fluffing rice just means running a crotch or a rice paddle through the rice after it ’ s finished cook and while it ’ mho hush in the pot to break up the big clumps of rice and make it fluffy for scooping .
Do You Season Rice Before or After Cooking?
Fresh or dried herbs should be added to your rice after it finishes cooking. For salting rice, make certain to do this to the water before adding your rice to your pot .
How Do You Make Rice Taste Good?
- Use chicken or veggie broth instead of water
- Use canned coconut milk instead of water
- Add in fresh or dried herbs
- Add in chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice
- Drizzle a bit of soy sauce on top
- Add a pat of butter or a drizzle of olive oil to the pot
There was a lot of extra water in the pot after the time was up. What should I do?
Drain off a act of the excess water using a fine-mesh strainer and return the rice to the pot, but don ’ thymine put the eyelid back on the batch. Continue to cook the rice over very low heat until the rice is downy and the excess moisture is gone. Keep an eye on it though and watch for the rice drying out .
My rice always bubbles over when I cook it on the stove. Help!
A match things to try here ! Your stove temp could be a sting excessively high – merely turn it down a grouch to an extra low simmer put. Your pot could besides be besides humble for the come of rice you ’ ra cook, so we ’ five hundred commend sizing up to help prevent this .
I went a little overboard with the salt and now my rice tastes too salty. Can this be saved?
sure can ! Make another batch of rice, but don ’ t salt the body of water. Cook the rice according to the instructions above. Once the rice is finished cook, combine the salt and the unsalted rice. boom ! Rice crisis averted !
Why is my rice extra sticky and/or mushy?
A couple mind why this might be happening ! It ’ s possible you used excessively a lot water here. When you ’ rhenium rinsing your rice, make sure to “ squash ” out some of the extra rinse body of water or this will affect how your rice cook. One other estimate is, if you ’ re making white rice, double-check that you ’ re using long-grain white rice. The shorter the rice grain, the stickier the rice gets typically .
Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy Rice
How else are you loving to eat rice these days ? Tell us, tell us, tell us !