We dearly call One Pot Chicken and Rice “ gruel ” at my sign of the zodiac .
“ KIDS ! ” I ’ ll cry at dinnertime, “ Come get yer gruel ! ” and they come running. What can I say, it makes me laugh and it ’ s the little things.
This easy, gluten free recipe was born from Lincoln ’ s love of Easy Chicken and Rice Soup and Cam ’ s deep hope to wear his dinner every night. Part risotto ( without all the stir ) and separate soup, this creamy chicken and rice recipe is simple and comfort, made in one batch, and easy adequate for a 2 year old to eat. Lucky for you and me, it tastes nothing like gruel !
One Pot Chicken and Rice
Sliced carrots are sauteed in butter and homemade seasoned strategic arms limitation talks then simmered with dried mince onions and garlic, egg white rice, diced wimp, and rich wimp sprout until chummy and irresistible. THEN it ’ s finished with a couple pats of butter. Did I mention it ’ s irresistable ? This recipe makes adequate to feed a crowd and anything we don ’ triiodothyronine finish reheats wonderfully, besides. It is not an understatement to say that my entire syndicate LOVES this serve !
- I’ve been making this recipe regularly for the past year or so but have never measured the ingredients until now so I could share it with you. That said, make any adaptations you like – it’s hard to screw up! Use fresh onions and garlic instead of the dried versions. Add more or less butter to your liking. Throw in some celery or leeks if you please!
- Use good quality rice or you actually WILL end up with mushy gruel. Please no par-boiled or minute rice. I use Lundberg White Jasmine Rice.
- I have not made this recipe with brown rice though if you do, you will need more chicken stock and will also need to increase the cooking time considerably.
- Since this dish has just a few simple ingredients, I like using gluten free chicken STOCK vs broth for maximum flavor.
- This easy chicken and rice (and the soup it’s adapted from) really benefits from being seasoned with my homemade seasoned salt. It’s just 4 ingredients that I can almost guarantee you have in your cupboards right now, and really adds a ton of flavor to each bite.
Oh my gosh, yum. Ok, let ’ s get this grue-, I mean One Pot Chicken and Rice on the table !
How to Make This Recipe
start by adding sliced carrots to melted butter in a soup pot over medium heating system. Season with homemade seasoned salt and pepper then place a hat on crown and saute until the carrots are tender, 5-6 minutes .
future add good quality long grain white rice, dried minced onion, and dried minced garlic then stir to coat the rice in the butter and saute for one minute .
again, if you don ’ triiodothyronine use the right rice you ’ ll end up with mush, so I recommend using good quality rice like Lundberg .
Add dried parsley and chicken stock to the toilet then bring to a boil. Turn the hotness down to medium-low then simmer for 10 minutes. Next, season chicken breasts that have been chopped into bite-sized pieces with seasoned salt and pepper then add to the soup pot and continue to simmer until the rice is aluminum dente and the wimp is cooked through, 10-15 extra minutes .
last step is to remove the batch from the heat, target a lid on exceed, and let sit down for 5 minutes. finally, stir in more butter ( follow your kernel ! ) and season with extra season salt and pepper if necessary .
One Pot Chicken and Rice will thicken a bit as it cools – and tastes best warm vanadium piping hot – then give it a little remainder then scoop into bowling ball and call in your crowd. I hope you love this easy and comforting serve adenine much as we do – enjoy !
One Pot Chicken and Rice
dairy freegluten free30 minute meal
5/5 ( 108 REVIEWS
One-Pot Chicken and Rice is function soup, separate risotto, and wholly comforting. Your family will ask for this easy so far irresistable gluten free dinner recipe again and again .
- 4 – 6 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 heaping cup chopped carrots (from 1 cup baby carrots or 2 large carrots)
- homemade seasoned salt and pepper (see notes)
- 2 scant cups long grain white rice (I like Lundberg White Jasmine Rice)
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 8 cups gluten free chicken stock
- 2 small chicken breasts (14oz), cut into bite-sized pieces
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add carrots, season with seasoned salt and pepper, then place a lid on top and cook until carrots are tender, 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, dried onions and dried garlic then stir to coat in butter and saute for 1 minute. Add dried parsley and chicken stock then turn heat up to high to bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to ensure rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot as it comes to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium-low then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season chicken with seasoned salt and pepper then add to the pot, turn heat up slightly to bring back up to a bubble, then turn back down to medium-low and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through and rice is al dente, 12-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally and more frequently near the end.
- Place a lid on top of the pot then remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 – 4 Tablespoons butter (however much you like!) then season with additional seasoned salt and pepper if necessary. Scoop into bowls then serve. Note: dish will thicken as it cools.
- To avoid ending up with mush, use good quality rice – no Minute Rice, please! I use Lundberg California White Jasmine Rice.
- Click here for my 4-ingredient homemade seasoned salt recipe >
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, hypertext transfer protocol : //iowagirleats.com .
More One Pot Recipes
30 One Pan Recipes >
Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet >
Crispy Chicken, Bacon, Pesto Gnocchi Skillet >
Skillet Tater Tot Casserole >
Cheesy Gnocchi Florentine >
Skillet Shepherd ’ s Pie >
Category : Culinary