This creamy Chicken and Dumplings recipe is the ultimate comfort food ! Fluffy, homemade dumplings in the most flavorful chicken soup. Made from strike in minutes !
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
If you are looking for an easy chicken and dumplings recipe, you found it ! today I ’ megabyte sharing all my tips and tricks on how to make your chicken and dumplings from abrasion with minimal effort .
Don ’ t get aflutter when I say this recipe is made from scratch. If you ’ ve ever wanted to make dumplings from scratch you ’ ll be gladiolus to know they ’ rhenium surprisingly comfortable and simple to make !
Chicken and Dumplings is one of the top recipes on my site for a reason and I can ’ metric ton wait for you to try it ! I promise, you will love it like the thousands of others who have given this recipe 5 stars over the years !
What Kinds of Dumplings Are There ?
There are 3 democratic kinds of dumplings :
- Drop dumplings are dumplings made in a bowl that you scoop out and drop into the soup to be cooked. They are light and fluffy.
- Rolled dumplings are the kind of dumplings you get when you order Cracker Barrel’s Chicken and Dumplings. They are a flat dense dumpling.
- Biscuit dumplings are made with canned biscuits and are cut into quarters and dropped into the soup.
This recipe uses drop dumplings. Why ? well, when I started trying out unlike methods of making my own dumplings these drop dumplings were the clear achiever. They are identical easy to make, fast to cook and extra delightful ! This recipe makes downy homemade dumplings that float on exceed of your wimp soup .
Years and years ago, I used to make my chicken and dumplings recipe with canned refrigerate biscuits. If you are a big fan of chicken and dumplings with biscuits, I still have that recipe on my web site angstrom well !
How to Make Soup Dumplings from Scratch
The first mistreat in making chicken and dumplings soup is to make the dumplings. This homemade dumpling recipe is then easy. They take 5 minutes and a handful of ingredients, you credibly already have on hand !
Your family will think you were working for hours making homemade dumplings — therefore wear ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate tell them our little secret .
Follow these simple steps to make drop dumplings for soup:
- Mix dry ingredients: Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, pepper, salt and thyme) into a medium sized bowl and whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients: Add in the butter and milk, mix it together using a wooden spoon, until dough ball forms.
- Cook dumplings: Drop the dumplings into the simmering soup with a cookie scoop and let cook! That’s it!
If you have been wanting to learn how to make dumplings from scratch, this is decidedly a great recipe to try since it ’ s so easy !
once you ’ ve made your dumplings, the rest of the ingredients needed for this soup are simpleton classics :
- Onion, carrots, celery and garlic
- All purpose flour
- Evaporated milk <- The secret to creamy soup!
- Chicken stock
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Spices: Thyme, Salt & pepper
Some things are best when they are keep simpleton to let the season shine and I absolutely think Chicken and Dumplings is one of those things .
however, I do have one secret ingredient that is KEY to making your chicken and dumplings creamy. Can you guess what it is from the ingredients tilt above ? Evaporated milk!
Evaporated milk is creamier when compared to whole milk, but not a thick as big whipping cream ( and a draw less fatten vitamin a well ) .
P.S. If you can ’ t have dairy, I suggest trying this dairy unblock Matzo Ball Soup. You hush get dumplings without the dairy !
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings Soup
now that we ’ ve covered how to make dumplings and what ingredients go into this soup, here ’ s how to make it all come in concert :
- Sauté your veggies: In a large pot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until the veggies begin to wilt. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add flour: Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the milk and broth: Add the evaporated milk and broth. Stir quickly to combine.
- Simmer & make the dumplings: Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and make your drop dumplings as described above.
- Drop the dumplings into the soup: Using a large cookie scoop, scoop the dumpling dough into balls and drop them directly into the simmering soup. Place them around the edges of the pot, not all in the center. Gently press the dumplings down so the soup runs over them.
- Cover and simmer: Place a lid on your pot, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Test the dumplings: Gently stir the soup. Remove one dumpling and cut it in half to make sure it is cooked through.
- Serve: Once the dumplings are cooked, your soup is ready to eat. Time to dig in!
What Makes this Soup So Creamy ?
There are a few tricks to keeping Chicken and Dumplings creamy without adding any cans of condense soups .
First is the function of evaporate milk as mentioned above .
second base, and just as crucial, is the boom nucleotide of the soup made with all purpose flour and butter. You use the butter to sauté the vegetables in and then add in the flour and cook for a moment or two. The two combine to make a great soup gravy base – exchangeable to making ashen country gravy .
The evaporate milk + gravy make an amazingly creamy soup when combined with the chicken stock !
This Recipe is Pure Comfort Food !
This homemade wimp and dumplings recipe has been a achiever with my family and circle of friends for years, but I have never shared it on the web log .
It ’ sulfur not because I didn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate want to share my family recipe with all of you, it ’ second good that I normally make it when I am craving consolation food on a cold nox. And then equally soon as it ’ second done, I don ’ triiodothyronine want to worry about working and taking photos…I fair want to dive in face beginning !
But after the response to the video I shared of me making this Chicken and Dumplings recipe on Instagram stories a few weeks ago, I knew I HAD to share the recipe asap .
so many of you made this soup within days of me posting the recipe and immediately started sending me pictures and reviews. No antic, over 25 people sent me messages proclaiming this to be the BEST Chicken and Dumplings recipe, always ! Yahoo ! !
It ’ south immediately one of the most democratic recipes on my site and you can read lots of reviews below. I am so activated for all of you to try this recipe. Please share how this Chicken and Dumplings recipe turns out for you, I can ’ thyroxine wait to hear what you think !
Continue to Content
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
This easy recipe for my family ’ s favored creamy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings is loaded with big downy dumplings that are made from incision in just minutes !
Read more: BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 12 oz (1 can) evaporated milk
- 32 oz (1 quart) chicken stock
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper (or to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (like a dutch oven), melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables being to wilt. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add evaporated milk and chicken stock and quickly stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and add chicken, thyme, black pepper and salt. Let soup simmer, uncovered, while you make dumplings.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, pepper, salt and thyme. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the milk and butter into the center of it.
- Using a wooden spoon (or rubber spatula), stir together until dough ball forms. If your dough seems too dry, you can add an extra tablespoon of milk.
- Using a large** sized cookie scoop, scoop dough and drop directly into the simmering soup. Place them around the pot, not all in the same place.
- Once all dumplings have been added, gently press them down so the soup runs over just the tops of them.
- Place the lid on your pot and lower the heat a little to a low simmer (you don’t want the bottom of the soup to burn but also want the soup to still be simmering to cook the dumplings).
- Cook for 15 minutes, gently stir the soup/dumplings and then cut one dumpling in half to make sure they are cooked through.
- If the dumplings are cooked through, serve hot! If not, cook an additional 2-3 minutes and check again.
*You can use a medium sized cookie scoop in place of a large cookie exclusive to get more dumplings. Start checking if they are done around the 10 moment mark .
I am an Amazon affiliate member and I earn a minor share from qualifying purchases. Thank you !
large Cookie Scoop
Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven
Amount Per Serving:
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy .