Cooking Techniques – The Good Method
Traditional Roast Turkey (unstuffed)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Check the wrapper to see how much the turkey
weighs and determine approximate cooking time (see 1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Check the wrapping to see how much the turkey weighs and determine approximate cook time ( see graph below ). Remove the giblet bag and the neck from the turkey cavity. No want to wash the turkey ( see Wash Hands : not the Turkey ), glib peel dry with paper towels. 2. station turkey breast side up on a rack in a shallow ( about 2 inches deep ) roasting pan. Insert kernel thermometer in second joint. Add 1/2 cup body of water to the penetrate of pan, if desired .
3. Cover turkey loosely with a camp of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Roast the joker until temperature in the inmost partially of the second joint reaches 165°F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the wing and the thickest part of the breast. You may choose to cook the turkey to higher temperatures. Cooking time will vary. For example, a 20 beat turkey will take 4 1/4 to 5 hours to cook, check the temperature on the thermometer after 4 1/4 hours .
4. meanwhile, mix the gorge or dress. position in a casserole and pop it into the oven during the last hour or therefore of roasting prison term.
Reading: Traditional Roast Turkey (unstuffed) – Turkey Cooking Techniques – Turkey for Holidays – University of Illinois Extension
5. Remove the foil tent after 1 to 1 1/2 hours of cooking time to brown the skin. Brush with vegetable oil to enhance brown, if desired .
6. A whole joker ( and turkey parts ) is safe when cooked to a minimal internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the inmost part of the second joint and wing and the thickest separate of the breast. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook turkey to higher temperatures.
Read more: BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
7. Allow the turkey to set 20 to 30 minutes before carving to allow juices to saturate the kernel evenly .
notice : Cooking times do vary. Why ? There are many reasons – oven temperature may not be wholly accurate, the turkey may be very cold or partially freeze, and/or the roasting pan may be besides modest which inhibits the hang of inflame. The USDA highly recommends use of a meat thermometer to determine doneness of turkey.
Read more: Easy Oven-Baked Baby Back Ribs
USDA Roasting Timetable for Fresh or Thawed Turkey
These times are approximate and should constantly be used in conjunction with a properly placed thermometer .
|8 to 12 pounds||2 3/4 to 3 hours|
|12 to 14 pounds||3 to 3 3/4 hours|
|14 to 18 pounds||3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours|
|18 to 20 pounds||4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours|
|20 to 24 pounds||4 1/2 to 5 hours|
|8 to 12 pounds||3 to 3 1/2 hours|
|12 to 14 pounds||3 1/2 to 4 hours|
|14 to 18 pounds||4 to 4 1/4 hours|
|18 to 20 pounds||4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours|
|20 to 24 pounds||4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hours|
The USDA does not recommend cooking turkey in an oven rig lower than 325°F .
Category : Culinary